Woodlawn

Woodlawn // The kitchen, before

There were a lot of things that had to fall into place before we could even consider that we might be able to live at Woodlawn. So many question marks that we even felt nervous driving back that long driveway to poke around the place. I won't publicly confess how many drive-bys I did for those months we spent in "house limbo".

On one particularly brave day, we actually peeked in the windows. Heaven forbid! But I got a glimpse that day of some pretty good things going on inside, despite the disrepair. So when we finally had the chance to actually walk through the house without feeling like a couple of burglars scouting out the place? That was pretty exciting.

Woodlawn_kitchen_remodel_before_2
When we first went through the family had yet to move everything out. Later there would be dumpsters, auctions and sales.

Woodlawn_kitchen_remodel_before_4

But underneath all that I was seeing was what I knew had been the most beautiful home. Elegant. Lovely. Full of life.

One of our first big projects at the house has been the kitchen. The red linoleum countertops were reminiscent of the ones in the house I grew up in, but all nostalgia aside, I was easily able to see them go.

DSC_0079
All of our remodeling plans for house have been basically squished into just a few weeks. Decisions I feel like most people spend months making, I've had to make in days and weeks of time. It's been a wee bit stressful. And completely, "Is this really happening?" strange and amazing.

Woodlawn_kitchen_remodel_before_1

Woodlawn_kitchen_remodel_before_3
But now, plans have been finalized. Cabinets have been ordered. Flooring picked out. And I'll share all that soon. For now, I'm just grateful that I can finally sleep at night without dreaming of soft-close kitchen drawers, refrigerators, and paint chips.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply Susan January 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Looking forward to watching the progress! Some day I will re-do a kitchen. I would dearly love to pickout my own finishes/layout. Congrats on the new home!

• Reply amy h January 17, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I can’t wait to see it finished! I did all that detail-picking for a house we didn’t get. And then we didn’t get a different house, and I still drive by that one once in a while. When we were in talks, the drive-bys were, uh daily? Twice daily? :)

• Reply laura January 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm

oh! i can’t wait to see how it progresses!

• Reply Gina :|: Listening in the Lita January 17, 2013 at 5:08 pm

How exciting! What a charming, sunny space. I love all of those big windows.

• Reply Emmalina January 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm

If it is any consolation when we were building our house we had to make all decorating decisions very quickly! Some we’ve been really contented with and others we’d probably change, but such is the nature of living the dream!

• Reply emily January 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

when can i come for lunch!?!

• Reply betsy January 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Oh, Molly. The bones of this house are obviously so good! And the name! Woodlawn! I’m expecting Colin Firth to swagger out from behind a bush! I can’t wait to see more (of the house — Colin Firth would be great too, if you could make that happen). xo

• Reply Tina J. January 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm

How over-the-top exciting! Can’t wait to see more pictures of the process. So happy for you!

• Reply Aimee January 17, 2013 at 8:21 pm

What is better than a kitchen remodel? We did ours about a year after moving in. It was completely stressful, but so worth it in the end.

• Reply Alicia A. January 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Eeeeeeeek! I know it’s hard in the middle of the work, but I’m so excited for you! It will be great.

• Reply Heather January 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

Excitement and stress all rolled up into one fantastic package. Very excited for you!

• Reply Brenda January 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I’m so excited to see the house develop, it just looks beautiful xxBrenda

• Reply Brooke January 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

so excited for you! can’t wait to see your vision come to life in this amazing new home. New home – new chapter – new memories!

• Reply mandi@herbanhomestead January 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I am so excited to see all of your ideas and hard work! This place is going to be amazing!

• Reply Karen in PA January 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

This is the kitchen that is still in my parent’s Maryland house. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.