home, Woodlawn

Woodlawn \\ A BEFORE tour of the downstairs

1812 farmhouse remodel Woodlawn

I have a running list in my moleskine of things I want to write about this year and at the top of the list are several posts about Woodlawn. When we were first moving in, I shared occasional progress updates, but then the overwhelming task of settling in took over my life.

Don’t be fooled. Almost two years later and I swear I still feel like we’re settling in. And fixing things. And finding more broken things. And learning how to make do with things that we can’t fix right now. And there are days when I wouldn’t trade it for anything. And days when I’d trade it for a tidy little condo in the city.

Just when I thought we weren’t making much progress around here, finding these pictures makes me feel like we’ve come along way with this old girl. When Dan walked in tonight to see what I was working on, he said, “I don’t think it’s really changed all that much.” Boy, were we both wrong. So since my house is nowhere near tidy enough right now for “after” photos I’d be willing to share and still maintain my dignity, tonight you get to dig into the “before”.

We fell in love with this house long before we ever stepped inside, or drove down the long lane. And looking at these photos, I still see big glimpses of why. She’s got beautiful bones and it’s been a slow journey to help her come back to life, no matter how long that might be.

I hope you enjoy taking a peek inside this 1812 farmhouse officially called “Woodlawn” in the history books. These photos are from the very first time we walked through after the previous owner’s things had been removed. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to getting a wee bit overwhelmed at the site of the work ahead of us, especially that kitchen. Can we please discuss that dishwasher?! I’m thinking it’s got to be the first dishwasher ever made, circa 1812. (kidding.)

So enjoy this peek inside Woodlawn. This is the downstairs tour, and if you enjoy it, let me know. I’ve got the upstairs, attic, basement and barn to share as well. You can click on the thumbnails below to view them in a larger view or slideshow.

You might also like my farmhouse inspiration and kitchen boards on Pinterest, where I’ve been gathering inspiration and ideas.
Follow Molly Balint’s board farmhouse inspiration on Pinterest.

Follow Molly Balint’s board kitchen on Pinterest.

Shares
Share with your friends

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply camille February 3, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I love it! I lovelovelove old houses! I grew up in a 160 year old house in eastern Canada, and was a caretaker of a 240 year old house in Philadelphia. Please show the rest of it!

• molly balint
      Reply molly balint February 3, 2015 at 1:25 pm

yay! I’m so glad you like seeing the inside. I’ll start working on a few more ‘tours’!

• Reply Jennifer Lange February 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Oh yay! I’m so excited that you’ve decided to share more photos of Woodlawn. I’ve been longing to see it ever since you moved in but I wasn’t sure how much you planned to share online. I can see why you love it so much. It’s got the most beautiful bones and all that woodwork and the beautiful twisty stairs. I’m so glad that you could buy such a beautiful old house and breathe new life into it. And what a fantastic place to grow up!

• molly balint
      Reply molly balint February 3, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Thank you! We feel so blessed to be here.

• Reply Mags February 3, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I love it also – such an amazing house, definitely do share more photos!
    Really want to see the after – the glimpses you’ve shown look wonderful!

• molly balint
      Reply molly balint February 3, 2015 at 5:06 pm

It will be a very real life ‘after’, but I’ll try to get my act together enough to share some photos! :)

• Reply gkgirl February 3, 2015 at 3:03 pm

i also loved seeing this!!! :)

• molly balint
      Reply molly balint February 3, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Thank you! I’ll work on putting a few more together and then tidy up enough to do a very real life after. ;)

• Reply Melissa Joy February 4, 2015 at 10:48 pm

More more more pics! I can see why you fell in love with her. I would have too! Why are there always so many doors to the outside, right next to each other, in these old houses?

Man, that staircase…. *swoon!

• Reply Jennie February 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm

more please!!

• Reply Susan S. February 5, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I’m so excited to see your home. I often click on the Woodlawn links hoping for an update I might have missed. When we were looking for our current home I fell in love with an old farmhouse, but the price and the work it needed exceeded our budget. I love the character of old homes…especially double front doors…and your staircase! I can’t wait to see more. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Becky February 6, 2015 at 9:30 am

Such lovely bones! I totally would have overlooked the oldest dishwasher known to man for the rest of that house.

• Reply Tatiana Sciancalepore February 13, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Soo awesome!! I’ve been dying for a “tour” of the inside ever since you bought it (I know, how weird, right…I’m a total stranger lol). But really, I have a thing for farmhouses (bought one myself) so the tour was great! Bring on the upstairs, attic, basement, barns, outhouse..whatever you’ve got ;)

And p.s. we’ve been in ours almost 2 years also and it really is slooow going.

• Reply Tina February 17, 2015 at 11:25 am

Thank you so much for sharing. What a beautiful home–it has great bones and I can see why you fell in love with it. I found myself wondering about the lives lived there before. Enjoy the process of making that beautiful space your own.