I sat down to write thirty things about myself this morning, in honor of my thirtieth birthday. That is a hard task. I felt confronted with how boring I am….but nonetheless, I managed to think of thirty things, thrilling or not. Enjoy them and then we’ll get to the good stuff:
1. there is a crown and sash in my history
2. I played the clarinet in middle school and high school and never sat lower than first chair…I’ve only played it twice since emma was born
3. I cannot draw
4. If I chose my favorite singer today it would be patty griffin
5. I have a sweet tooth—actually it would probably be more like a molar
6. I grew up on a farm
7. I used to be an elementary school teacher
8. I am not a morning person
9. I’ve inherited my mother’s high standards for bed-making: smoothed out bed, hospital corners, folded down flat sheet, sides tucked in…etc.
10. For the life I me, I can not get my legs from knee to ankle to get anything tanner than pasty white
11. I’m a procrastinator
12. I hate talking on the phone
13. I shave my legs every time I shower (I guess my pasty white legs need all the help they can get)
14. I have showed sheep, pigs, a steer, chickens, dogs, sewing projects, cakes and hard candy in my county fair. (hint, hint for no. 1)
15. I always like to have something to drink with me in the car
16. I could do bagels and diet coke every day for lunch.
17. I had a great college experience
18. I just started drinking coffee—but I have to put some hot chocolate mix in it to get it down.
19. As I type this my four year old is drawing on a cucumber, and I walked in on my two year old squirting expensive conditioner all over the bathroom sink
20. I can get frazzled easily….breathe…in…out….calmly address no. 19…..
21. I still get a few blemishes , but I’m thinking I should start putting cream around my eyes…
22. I have one grey hair (that I know of)
23. I have two children and hope for more.
24. I can’t fathom that I look different or older than I did in college.
25. I hate being hot
26. I love a little bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream in front of the TV at night, after my children are in bed—and I can really enjoy it.
27. My husband and I are obsessed with getting BBC/PBS shows from netflix—formerly “monarch of the glen” currently: “Ballykissangel” next: “miss marple?”
28. I love reading children’s books
29. I always have music on
30. I hope my next thirty years will be marked by growth: spiritual, emotional, familial, marital…(oh—and some loss—in the weight department)
**maybe I should clarify marital growth: I’m not planning on acquiring more husbands, just a deeper, richer relationship with the wonderful one I have now.**
Now as a sort of birthday in reverse, I thought I’d give the gifts today and share some of my thrift store scores with a few of you. I think we’ll go with the old name drawing method. If you would like your name in the hat for some of the fabrics below, please leave me a comment, and be sure to say you are interested. Last time I did this, I had a hard time telling which people wanted to be in the drawing, and which were just leaving a comment.
Gifts 5 and 6: (these curtain panels have tucks at the top, but they could easily be taken out with a seam ripper…about a yard to a yard and a half each)
obviously no ironing involved here, but I washed my set yesterday and they cleaned up nicely:
So there’s the stash for sharing. Remember, if you’re interested in having your name in the hat for one of these 6 pieces of fabric, please make it clear in your comment. And one small disclaimer–if you are an international reader, I’d be happy to send fabric to you, I only ask for a little donation towards shipping…fair enough?
So, I’m 30…wow. feels just like 29. I’m planning on spending my day poolside with my two favorite girls and then a small dinner celebration with the girls, Dan and some close college friends. A nice, simple, quiet day. Happy July26th to all of you! Have a wonderful day–for me!