I pumped out this skirt today for Emma. (this was a quick before naps photo shoot and I couldn’t really get anyone to cooperate, so this is the best shot I got) Ever since I made the dress, I’ve been wanting to make just a twirly skirt. Then over the weekend I got the latest MiniBoden catalog and saw the exact skirt style I had in my mind to create here.
Of course, I didn’t use a pattern and barely measured a thing because that’s the way I sew these days (or at least attempt to sew). I just drew a few sketches in my notebook and started cutting. Emma was very impatient with the number of times I made her try on the waistband for measuring and pinning. I don’t really like the colors or fabric of this one, but it was just a tester. I didn’t want to use fabric that I absolutely loved until I came up with a good plan to make the skirt. I think this type of fabric is a little too light to give the proper flounce. It’s a little stiff or something. Maybe it will relax after a few washings. I’d also like to add a little more detail at the bottom eventually–some grosgrain ribbon or contrasting binding perhaps. But this is just my tester. More trials to come later.
My next project will be a blanket for Mary using some of those fabrics I showed yesterday. I have reworked my plan, which will mean a trip back to the fabric store. I’m hoping to work on it some more this week.
Oh, and the drooling part of this post:
A new children’s catalog from here. I’m just in love with classic wooden children’s toys lately.
And I’m starting my begging campaign with Dan to get some of this installed in our house. I don’t care where, I just want to enjoy it under my feet somewhere!